Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, was named one of America’s Best Craft Beer Cities by FODOR’s and Pittsburgh’s Craft Beer Scene includes more than 40 breweries—and growing. There’s a rich history of breweries in this city, with Penn Brewery being the oldest and largest craft brewery in Pittsburgh, specializing in German-style beers.
Here’s your ultimate guide to exploring “Pintsburgh,” host of the 44th annual Homebrew Con June 23-25, 2022. Registration begins March 23!
Summer Time Fun
Whether you enjoy biking, walking, or just relaxing on a city bench, the views and warm breeze that will make you fall in love with the city. The sun shines bright on Pittsburgh in the summer. The month of June is absolutely a delicious time to visit, with temperatures ranging from 76°F to 82°F.
- For maximum exploration, visitors can explore one (or all) of seven pre-made brewery trails in the Pittsburgh Brewers Guild’s Pittsburgh Brewery Guide.
- Beer lovers will encounter award-winning beers including Church Brew Works’ Pious Monk Dunkel, Helltown Brewing’s Mischievous Brown, and Brew Gentlemen’s General Braddock’s — which was named one of the 25-best beers of the decade.
- Ample experimentation can be found at Strange Roots Experimental Ales Brewery which specializes in using foraged ingredients, spontaneous fermentation, and testing tactics.
- And to taste the latest and greatest, there are plenty of craft beer festivals including Barrel & Flow Fest aimed at celebrating Black arts and artists and supporting the economic empowerment of the Black community.
Members of the American Homebrewers Association can enjoy discounts at Pittsburgh AHA Member Deal participants.
Here is a list of Pittsburghese words to use:
- N’at = and that
- Slippy = Slippery
- Crik = creek
- Chipped-Chopped Ham (chipped ham) = processed lunch meat made from ham pieces, trimmings, and spices.
- Nebby = nosy, prying
- Buggy = shopping cart
- Sweeper = vacuum
- Jumbo = bologna lunch meat
- Pop = soft drink
- Yinz = you all
- Jeet jet = Did you eat yet?
For the ‘Gram
Pittsburgh’s most Instagram worthy locations:
- Randyland – 1501 Arch St
- Roberto Clemente Bridge – Downtown Pittsburgh
- Allegheny Riverfront Park – Downtown Riverwalk
- The Pennsylvanian Apartments – 1100 Liberty Ave
- Duquesne Hill – 1197 W Carson St
We hope you have a great time in Pittsburgh for #HomebrewCon.